ALBRIGHTON PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Planning Meeting

Thursday 3rd March 2011 at 7.15 pm in the Red House

 

Minutes of the Albrighton Parish Council planning meeting held on 3rd March 2011 at 7.15 pm in the Red House.

 

PRESENT: Cllrs. D Beechey (Chair), G Beechey, R Blincoe, S Brown, M Holden, P Illes,

J MacLachlan, J Nelson, S Pate, S Pledger.

 

CLERK: M Ward.

 

MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: Two members of the public were in attendance but did not wish to comment or ask questions.

 

1.      APOLOGIES:

 

Cllrs. N Hester, D Johnson, P Lusk, D Murray, M Pate.

 

2.      DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:

 

Personal:

 

None.

 

Prejudicial:

 

Cllr. D Beechey declared a prejudicial interest in agenda item 6.

Cllr. S Pledger declared a prejudicial interest in agenda item 6.

 

3.      THE CREATION OF NEW ALLOTMENTS AT WORTHINGTON DRIVE AND THE RESOLUTION OF ANNEXED COUNCIL LAND AT LOAK ROAD AND BEHIND GRANGE PARK:

 

Cllr. D Beechey reported that he had been in consultation with Mr J Foster of the Albrighton Allotments Association and agreed that no further meetings were required. Mr Foster had reported to him that the Allotments Association had evidence that the residents of 60 Loak Road, Albrighton had paid rent for land at the rear of their garden within the last few years. Cllr. Nelson stated that it was a priority for the Council to obtain copies of this evidence and that this should be done before any further action was taken.

 

Action: The Clerk to contact Mr Foster and ask him for copies of the evidence of rental payments for land at the side/rear of 60 Loak Road.

 

 

4.      DISCUSSION ON THE COMPACTION SKIP PROVISION FOR 2011/12:

 

Cllr. Illes reported that after discussions with the current contractor, Pink Skips, charges were bound to rise in the coming financial year. The contractor had offered to drop a skip at the Abney Avenue site on Friday afternoons and collect it on Saturday morning which would be less expensive than the current rate but the skips committee had felt that the present arrangement was valued by residents and their recommendation was that the current schedule should be maintained.  Cllr Illes proposed that the present schedule should be carried forward into the new financial year which was seconded by Cllr. Nelson and approved by Council.

 

Action: Cllr. Illes to contact other providers of skips and produce a range of estimated prices for 2012/13.

 

5.      THE USE OF VACANT BUILDING LAND IN BEAMISH LANE AND PROBLEMS WITH CARAVANS AND THE DUMPING OF BUILDERS’ RUBBLE AND TYRES:

 

Cllr. D Beechey read out a memo submitted by Cllr. Hester and went through the individual points. The Parish Council had no powers to intervene in the present dispute but he had contacted Mr S Brown, the enforcement officer at Shropshire, who had powers to act under the Environmental Protection Act. The siting of caravans on the site was a planning issue and Mr Brown had agreed to take up this matter with the owner of the land. The Clerk gave a brief description of the site after an inspection he had made earlier in the day and members agreed that they should continue to encourage Shropshire Council to take action to improve the condition of the land.

 

6.      GRANTS COMMITTEE REPORT:

 

·        Severn Hospice:

 

Cllr. S Pate reported that the Grants Committee’s recommendation was that £200 should be donated to the Severn Hospice which was agreed by Council.

 

·        Albrighton Operatic Society:

 

Cllr. Pate told members that the Albrighton Operatic Society had asked for £5,000 without specifying a particular project that the grant would support. She had suggested to the Chair of the society that they should resubmit and this had been agreed. However because of illness a new submission had not been received and the committee recommended that this application should be deferred. Councillors supported this recommendation.

 

·        Crucial Crew:

 

Crucial Crew were asking for a grant of £360 to support 31 pupils from St. Mary’s School and 41 from the County Primary School. However, no accounts had been received with the application and so the recommendation from the Grants Committee was to pay the grant in full subject to the accounts being acceptable. This suggestion was supported by the Council.

·        Patient’s Reference Group:

 

Cllrs. D Beechey and Pledger left the meeting for this item. The Patient’s Reference Group had asked for £275 to help pay for members’ travel expenses, surveys and some equipment. Because this had always been supported by individual members in the past no accounts had been kept.  In this exceptional case Cllr Illes suggested that the grant of £275 should be paid subject to the group keeping good records of expenditure in the future with a suitable audit trail. The motion was seconded by Cllr. Nelson and agreed by Council.

 

7.      ICT SUPPORT FOR PARISH AND TOWN COUNCILS – REPORT BY THE CLERK ON A SUGGESTED OPTION FOR ALBRIGHTON PARISH COUNCIL:

 

The Clerk went through the report that had been circulated to Councillors which outlined a new system of ICT support for Parish and Town Councils who had signed up to the Charter. A basic level of support was free to Councils for 2011/12 but thereafter Councils would be expected to sign up to a bronze, silver or gold level of support starting in 2012. Discussions would take place between IT Services and each Council during 2011/12 to agree the appropriate level of support and no action was needed at present.

 

Cllr. Pledger stated that similar measures were in operation for schools and urged the Council to sign up to these new arrangements when the appropriate level of support had been identified.

 

8.      PLANNING:

 

·        11/00569/FUL Erection of a single storey extension to form a porch

3 Bushfield Road, Albrighton.

 

No objection.

 

·        11/00792/TPO To thin and top one yew tree protected by Shropshire Council (land at and to the west of Church Road, Albrighton) TPO 2010 28 Grange Park, Albrighton.

 

No objection.

 

9.      CORRESPONDENCE:

 

·        NALC – a code of recommended practice for local authorities on data transparency:

 

Received and noted.

 

·        NALC – Legal Topic Note on Byelaws:

 

Received and noted.

 

·        Fastrack – letter on grounds maintenance:

 

Received and noted.

 

·        Shropshire Council – Multi Agency and Prevention meeting, agenda, minutes:

 

Received and noted.

 

The Council agreed to take one other item of correspondence not on the agenda as it represented an emergency health and safety issue. This was a letter from the Albrighton Allotments Association drawing the Council’s attention to an iron post sticking out of the ground at child’s head height which had been revealed following the cutting of the hedge adjacent to the allotments car park. The Council were informed that it represented a significant safety issue for children who played in the area and it needed removal immediately. Cllr. Blincoe promised to contact the owners of the Albrighton Garage to see if they could help.

 

Action: Cllr. Blincoe to contact Albrighton Garage to seek their assistance in removing the steel post adjacent to the car park at Albrighton allotments.

 

10.  TIMES AND DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS:

 

·        Parish Council meeting Thursday 17th March 2011 at 7.15 pm in the Red House.

·        Parish Council planning meeting Thursday 7th April 2011 at 7.15 pm in the Red House.

 

Cllr. G Beechey asked for the state of the wall opposite The Bush public house to be placed on the next agenda and Cllr. Illes asked for a review of the Clerk’s salary to be placed on the next agenda.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.57 pm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Signed...........................................................................Date.......................................................Chairman